Monday, August 6, 2012

Final Reflection - Bethany Gochenour

I learned that the Dominican Republic is a beautiful country that has gorgeous beaches. They draw tourists for their fresh fruits and beautiful jewelry. The Dominican people are some of the nicest people I have ever met, anytime you passed them they said hola and when we were going through the farmers market it was obvious some people needed to get places but they didn’t get aggravated with us like we would to them.  They simply just said hola and went about their business.

Now that I am at home I am letting all of my friends and family know what it is like in the Dominican Republic and I am more thankful for what I have and am more grateful for our schools and teachers because in the DR the teachers aren’t paid by the state, they are paid by the people in the village. Before going to the Dominican Republic, I knew I wanted to be a teacher but after coming but I have looked into the age group of k – 2nd grade, because I feel like I really connected with this age group.
I would definitely recommend this program to other 4-H’ers looking for a cultural experience and those looking to help who aren’t as well off as us. It is important to continue this program because it really benefits these children in the Dominican Republic and the teens that go to help, because I had an idea of what I thought it would be like but now that I have gone I am extremely grateful for what I have and I am looking forward to going to help again.

Contributed by Bethany Gochenour, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment