Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Final Reflection - Dakota "Koti" Funkhouser



Being home for a while now I am starting to miss my Dominican friends and the culture. I learned very much while I was there. I also discovered some new things about myself. I’ve learned to appreciate what I have because nothing I deal with can come to what they deal with.


I enjoyed the service project very much. Once we finished with the desks and went to visit the school that would receive them I felt proud to be a part of this program. It was great to see all the kids smiling faces. I had a lot of fun delivering the school supplies and playing with the kids.
My group of kids for day camp were amazing! I made a friend named Grendy and he was a great help. He could not speak English but still understood what I had to say. He helped me show the other kids how to do crafts so everyone’s would turn out great. When we went to the beach I did not see one bored kid. They all enjoyed it and had a blast. It was great to see the kids making friends with each other.
Having to take my water bottle EVERYWHERE was a little weird to me. I can't imagine having to take my water bottle everywhere. When I got home I appreciated how easy it was to have access to clean water. Throughout the week I remember complaining about eating so much rice but now I am starting to miss it. The breakfast was one of the best parts of my day. I loved waking up every morning and knowing I could have yummy, fresh fruit.

One thing I noticed is everyone is so friendly. Every person I passed said Hola. While in the city of Higuey we went to the farmer’s market. I tried to keep an open mind and take in the culture but the smell was a little too much for me. I stuck it out but I was relieved when we got back on the bus.

At one point our bus tire did pop and driving around in circles trying to find a repair shop was stressful.

On the last night when we got to Joanna and JP’s house it was terrific. I loved learning the Spanish dances as well as teaching them some dances we knew. It felt as if we were at a family reunion. Everyone was having fun despite the rain.

All and all I enjoyed myself on this trip. I would most definitely tell others about my experiences and encourage them to do it as well. I felt like I was actually getting out there in the world and helping people directly which is what I’ve always wanted to do. The trip also opened my eyes to future career possibilities and other opportunities to help out not only my community, my county, or my country, but something much bigger. My experience was unforgettable and I know ill be sharing my experiences for years to come.
Contributed by Dakota Funkhouser, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment