Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Final Reflection - Kathryn Flynn




This week has been one of the best weeks of my life, just like last year. Each year I learn more, see more, and experience more things. It is such an eye-opening experience, and one I am planning to make for a few more years. We work with some pretty awesome kids, and they teach me so much each year. I’ve had three years in Spanish class at Strasburg, but I learn more Spanish with those kids in a week than I do any other time. They are such a joy to be around, and a joy to work with.

I also love going to the schools. That part of the trip is more moving and thought provoking than any other. We go and see all these kids at their school, give them school supplies and play with them, and they are so thankful. Even with the language barrier I can tell the extent of their gratitude from the huge smile that splits from ear-to-ear. They look at school as a privilege, something that they like; this makes me change the way I look at school at home. Most of my friends and I see school as a bit of a prison, we can’t wait to get out at the end of the day. These kids show me that an education is a really valuable thing; with an education you can go anywhere. That is what I get out of this trip the most. They might not have much but they are so grateful for what they do have.

I honestly cannot wait until next year, I’m counting down!

Contributed by Kathryn Flynn, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment