Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Final Reflection - Rachel Harriman

The 4-H Day Camp we held went fantastic!  I thought everybody did their part; American teens, Dominican teens, and of course the adults. It went very smoothly, I expected though that the children who came would not know English and would not want to interact with us but I was completely wrong! Some of the kids spoke English and I thought it was fun trying to figure out what they had said and see what they wanted. I had so much fun and even though I take French in school I learned my fair share of Spanish.
I have to say my favorite part of the whole week was going to the schools to deliver the supplies we had all gathered back at home. I loved being able to see all of their faces when we blew up all the volleyballs and basketballs for them to play with, they were ecstatic! They were all so friendly everyone was smiling and having a good time. I wanted to stay longer at each but we needed to stick to our schedule.

I would recommend this trip to all of my friends and fellow 4-H’ers. I had such a great time and made so many new friends. The 4-H Dominican Republic Trip was truly an ‘eye opener’ for me. 

Contributed by Rachel Harriman, Shenandoah County


No comments:

Post a Comment